Friday 27 February 2009

Words

I love the English language, I'm also fascinated by other parts of the world and the way they speak. Their different accents, different slang words, and even sometimes a different language all together. I have to say, that my favourite foreign word is schadenfreude (although thats probably more down to my sense of humor than the sound of it). That word is coming from the country who's word for nipple translates as chest-wart...
  I love the great names we have (Boris, Jeeves etc.), but the thing I love the most in the Wide world of words is..... (drum roll needed) the great words we have. I know how obvious that sounds, but no-one can say that words like jingle, numpty, Discombobulate don't make you smile.
So, here is my favourite words and names that would make even Eyore smile.....

Words 

Chuckle: I have to start with my favourite, Its so cheerful, it makes you chuckle just reading/hearing it.

Confuzzled: This isn't a real word, its a word me and my friends made up in school (along with brunkett and plosh), it means: to be confused, I'm confuzzled.

Fudge
Gazebo
Commode
Snazzy
flummoxed 
Moo
nozzle
waffle
bubble
bamboozle
surly
silly
onomatopoeia
spunk
hullabaloo
pickle
conundrum
dappled
buzz
nincompoop
pointy
goblin
maestro
lackadaisical 
sprocket
douche: sounds like a large rock splashing in water
ninny
rinky-dink
kerfuffle
Jingle 
Numpty
Discombobulate
Corking 
Chit-chat
Thats all I can think of now, I will be back with more later (maybe), but I haven't finished yet (sorry). In my English lessons, we're studying Shakespeare (yawn), but there is a plus side, think of all the great words he uses. The following words are taken from A Midsummer Nights Dream...

Methinks
pert
pomp
nosegays
sweetmeats
cloister
betwixt
dotes
knitteth
carthage

They're as many as I can get right now (because I too tired to read anymore of that soppy drivel!). I have to say this (despite the fact it is the saddest joke ever) What did shakespeare say when he was choosing a pencil.... 2B or not 2B!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA LOL and so on.

Names
i wish I was called some of these... (not the girls names though)

Fred
Bob
Bill
Boris 
Alfred
Samuel
Remington
Desdemona
Penelope
Doris
I'll add more later, give us a hand and leave some of your favourite words/names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment